By Anjum Choudhry Nayyar with notes from Shobha Tummala
Bathing suit season is upon us and if you’re planning on catching some rays by the beachside you’ll have to be more than just a smooth operator to get that perfect bikini line. NYC’s celebrated hair removal expert and working mom, Shobha Tummala, whose NYC salons specialize in sugaring and threading, gives us the inside scoop on ‘keeping it clean’ when it comes to de-furring this summer.
Shobha’s Top 5 mistakes people make when doing hair removal themselves:
- Always hold your skin taut. Not holding the skin taut during the removal of sugar or wax can cause bruising, which also means pain and often times the hair won’t come out on the first go, some make sure to stretch your skin to hold the skin taut and then peel the denim or muslin strip in the opposite direction.
- Let it Grow! Many people do not let their hair grow long enough for effective sugaring or waxing. Your hair should be at least 1/4 inches in length (which makes it long enough to lay flat on your skin). At Shobha® Salons, we ask our clients not to shave for at least two weeks prior to their appointment to ensure that their hair is long enough! Also, if you’ve ‘let it go’ down there and it seems out of control, trim any longer hairs to the proper (1/4” – 1”) length prior to the removal process.
- Wax what you can see! If you can’t see where you want to sugar or wax, then don’t wax it! To effectively remove hair and pull the waxing strip correctly, you need to be able to see the area you are sugaring or waxing. If you want to remove the hair you can’t see, we suggest using the buddy system (aka ask a friend for help!).
- Abstain from the 4 S’s (sex, sun, sauna & steam room). Medical experts recommend waiting 24 to 48 hours after any type of bikini wax to have sex. This time period is when your body can be most susceptible to outside bacteria which can potentially cause an infection. For your safety & health, it is better to abstain, but not required. It is really a personal choice, so just keep in mind that your skin does need some time to recover. Also avoid ultra-violet rays from tanning beds and sunbathing for at least 48 hours. Finally, resist the sauna & steam room for at least 48 hours as well.
- Perform a patch test, before entering a complete hairless state of being! Just as you would perform a patch test on your hair before you dye it, we recommend a patch test 48 hours before you try at home hair removal to see if you have any adverse reactions before undergoing a full treatment.
What products do you have that best address the issues of Brazilian wax, ingrown hairs, redness, freshness etc..? Our skin smoothers, the Shobha® Exfoliating Cloth and the Shobha® Ingrown Relief Lotion, help to maintain smooth results after waxing. They speed up the exfoliation process, shedding dead skin cells which can clog pores and result in bumps and ingrown hairs on the skin.
§ Shobha® Exfoliating Cloth is a natural alternative to a loofah. Made from all natural plant fibers, the cloth is flexible (great for even the bikini area) and machine-washable (lasts up to a year), so it won’t get gross and moldy like a loofah can! Plus, it folds up easily for travel.
§ Shobha® Ingrown Relief Lotion is a one-step solution for the prevention and treatment of bumps and ingrown hairs. Our mess-free lotion is also free of parabens, colors and fragrance, making it effective for sensitive skin without being harsh or drying. You can even apply the lotion on beards, bikinis and everywhere in between! Our Instant Fixers, the Shobha® Rosewater Freshening Cloths, Shobha® Talc-Free Powder, Shobha® Rosewater Calming Gel are handy products to have in your arsenal.
§ Shobha® Rosewater Freshening Cloths (10-count pouch) provide a quick, waterless cleanup and are safe for all-over body use, including right after a bikini treatment. The freshening formula is made with signature Shobha® Rosewater, using real essential rose oil, not artificial fragrance. Use them to freshen up on the beach! The re-sealable pouch also ensures easy access to cleanliness.
§ Shobha® Talc-Free Powder is great for absorbing excess moisture and freshening up. An all-natural formula, our powder is free of parabens, fragrance, and TALC, which is linked to infertility and cancer. You can use our talc-free powder on bikini areas, underarms and other sweaty parts. At 2 fl oz. it’s also discreetly sized for packing!
§ Shobha® Rosewater Calming Gel (3mL mini) soothes post-hair removal redness and irritation in a single-dose. These convenient minis double as a reviving facial mask; simply apply a thin layer and wash away for an instant pick-me-up.
For more information on Shobha products and salons visit myShobha.com.
To view a short video on bikini sugaring, click here
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.