Make Eid Festive at Home
By Nazima Qureshi
Eid-ul-Adha is fast approaching on July 30th and as the pandemic protocols allow for some social gathering, this Eid may feel a lot more social than the last Eid two months ago. Eid-ul-Adha is the second Eid, which marks the end of the Hajj season. Since there was no pilgrimage this year, planning for Eid may feel a bit different. Getting the family excited and having a streetfood style theme can get everyone feeling festive.
Whether you are having a backyard get together or a drive-by, setting up a Sloppy Turkey Bun Kabab DIY Station is a great way to put together a filling meal for guests that looks festive and fun. Street food style food is always so fun to enjoy with the family and can be a great theme for your socially distanced gathering. Street food style means easy prep work beforehand so you and your guests can enjoy the party.
A lot of the components can be made ahead of time, especially the sloppy turkey mix which can be kept warm in a slow cooker. On the day of, you simply have to plate the toppings and chutneys on a festive platter.
Cooking with turkey is a great way to make healthy meals during this time and has several nutritional benefits:
- Canadian turkey is a lean source of high quality protein. Eating enough protein at each meal can provide you with a good source of energy.
- White meat is a low fat, extra-lean choice with just 3 grams of fat per 100-gram serving.
- Dark meat is lean too, with just 8 grams of fat per 100-gram serving. Plus, dark meat gives you an even bigger boost of selenium, an important heart-healthy antioxidant mineral.
- Most of the fat in turkey is monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. In fact, almost half the fat in turkey is monounsaturated – that’s the same type of fat found in heart-healthy olive oil!
- All fresh cuts of turkey are naturally low in sodium. And because turkey is super tasty, you don’t need salty marinades to make it taste good.
Turkey is such a nutritious option but also tastes really great, making it a great addition to the table at get-togethers.
Sloppy Masala Turkey
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2lb turkey cubed
- 5 cup strained tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp barbeque sauce
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat and add onion, peppers, and ginger garlic paste. Sauté for 2-4 minutes or until onions and peppers have softened.
- Add spices and turkey. Cook for 5 minutes and add strained tomatoes and water. Cover saucepan and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Add turkey to a mixer bowl fitted with a dough hook. Run on medium speed until turkey is shredded.
- Add shredded turkey back to the saucepan and add barbeque sauce. Mix and add to bowl.
To Set up Sloppy Turkey Bun Kabab DIY Station:
- Select a festive platter
- Add small buns, lettuce, cut up onion, tomato slices, cilantro in small bowls and plates.
- Place turkey mix in a large bowl and add condiments around it on a platter.
- Add sauces like green chutney, raita, and barbeque sauce.
Looking for additional tips, recipes, Turkey Basics videos and HOW TOs? Visit canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration. The recipe section is filled with tasty recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. There are year-round WHOLE TURKEY HOW TO’s packed with helpful tips and techniques and instructional and recipe videos that make it easy to create a delicious dinner all summer long!
This post is sponsored by Canadian Turkey.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.