We’re counting down to our first full week at home for the holidays and we already have at least four gatherings to attend. Between family turkey time and boxing day cocktail drop-ins, and South Asian themed potlucks, celebrations come in all shapes and sizes with different likes, habits and dietary considerations.
Whether you are feeding a large crowd or making an intimate dinner for two, there are many different ways to prepare a meal. Turkey is such a versatile protein and adapts well to any flavour profile, so you can use all your family’s favourite spice blends. One of our favourite meal solutions especially to feed a crowd and perfect for ‘make-ahead’ and ‘freezing leftovers’ is a flavourful turkey chili. It is one of those dishes that has everything but the kitchen sink but comes packed with flavour. Our recipe has cocoa, beer and rich blend of spices with ground turkey.
Finding meal solutions that will help you easily feed a crowd is the best way to prepare for those holiday get-togethers.
Turkey Chili for the Holidays
2 ½ lbs ground turkey
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 finely chopped onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1 12oz dark beer
1 cup dark coffee
2 tsp paprika
2 tbs ground cumin
3 tbs chili powder
2tsp dried oregano leaves
2 15 oz cans kidney beans
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup diced baby carrots
2 tbsp cocoa powder
2tbsp chili sauce
2 tbs vegetable oil
3 tbs tomato paste
1 ½ tsp salt
- Heat oil and cook onions, garlic and meat until brown
- add tomato sauce, beer, coffee, chili sauce and tomato paste
- Add all spices and cocoa and salt
- stir in kidney beans
- add vegetables (corn, carrots etc.)
- Reduce heat and simmer for two hours
Tip: Cook seasoned ground turkey with canned tomatoes to make a base for individual servings of pasta or chilli that can be made ahead of time and warmed up for a hot dish to serve when guests arrive.
Need more ideas?
Here are 4 Ways to Entertain with Ground Turkey
1. Season ground turkey mix with your favourite spices while cooking. Store cooked portions in freezer bags for a quick start when needed.
2. Use seasoned cooked ground turkey, a little bit of your favourite cheese, and jalapeno jelly in puff pastry pockets or puff pastry shells for a quick appetizer.
3. Combine seasoned cooked turkey and taco spice to make a base for self-serve mini tacos or burritos. Make a do-it-yourself serving station by setting out various toppings.
4. Use ground turkey to stuff mini veggies like cherry tomatoes or miniature peppers. Top with a little bit of sour cream or crème fraiche.
Here are 5 Ways to Get Holiday-Ready with Canadian Turkey
1.Save money by purchasing a utility turkey. Utility turkeys taste the same as Grade A turkeys but may be missing a wing or have a tear in the skin. Once you carve up your turkey your guests will never know the difference!
2.Get your family excited about this festive Canadian tradition by cooking your turkey using their favourite seasonings or traditional spices.
3.Save precious cooking time and have more fun entertaining by preparing a meal using different turkey cuts instead of a whole turkey. You can customize your meal based on your guests’ preferences by easily serving more dark or white turkey, and cut your cooking time in half or less.
4. Plan to easily feed a large holiday crowd on a budget by serving a whole roasted Canadian turkey. You can prep your turkey in advance and plan to make all your sides while the turkey is in the oven! Visit the Whole Turkey section of the thinkturkey.ca website where you’ll also find our Whole Bird Calculator to help you determine the perfect size of turkey for your meal.
5. Bookmark helpful information on sites like thinkturkey.ca, with resources like our Turkey Basics How To videos to help you create the perfect roast turkey meal with fool-proof instructions, hints and tips.
Looking for additional tips, recipes, Turkey Basics videos and HOW TOs? Visit canadianturkey.ca for all your cooking inspiration.
This post is sponsored by Canadian Turkey however opinions are my own.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.