Recipe: Tandoori Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
By: Nazima Qureshi
Roast Your Pumpkin seeds, tandoori style!
What is the first thing you think of when you think of October? For me it is pumpkins! Whether it is carving pumpkins for Halloween or enjoying pumpkin treats, this orange vegetable is a family favourite during the fall season. I do not celebrate Halloween but I still buy fresh pumpkins every year so that I can make delicious pumpkin treats for the fall season.
This year, I took a trip the farm with my family so I can pick my own pumpkins. Going to a local pumpkin patch is a great fall weekend activity for the family. Not only will you support local farmers, but it is also an opportunity to teach your children about where our food comes from.
Whether you are carving a pumpkin or making your own pumpkin puree , save the pumpkin seeds to make a batch of these Tandoori Roasted Pumpkin Seeds.
When you are cleaning out a pumpkin it can be tempting to just throw out the seeds because it is tangled with the stringy insides of the pumpkin. It is worth saving the pumpkin seeds for a delicious snack, especially since they are high in iron and protein.
Three Easy Steps to Clean Pumpkin Seeds:
Quick tip: clean pumpkin seeds a day before to save time in the kitchen.
- Scoop out the insides of the pumpkin into a bowl. Add water and mix with your hand. This will help separate the pulp and seeds.
- With your hands, scoop out the pulp and place in another bowl. You will have pumpkin seeds and water leftover. Remove the seeds and place on a clean paper towel. Repeat this process until all of the seeds are separated.
- Transfer the seeds onto a piece of parchment paper. Do NOT let it dry on the paper towel. The seeds will stick to the paper towel as it dries, making it difficult to remove.
Once the seeds have dried, any additional pulp will also dry off. The seeds are ready to use.
Now that you have easily cleaned and separated the pumpkin seeds, it is time to add some South Asian flair with this recipe for Tandoori Roasted Pumpkin Seeds!
Tandoori Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp Tandoori masala
- Preheat oven to 350o In a bowl, mix together pumpkin seeds, oil, and Tandoori masala.
- Spread the seasoned pumpkin seeds in an even layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until seeds have slightly browned. Let cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.