March is Nutrition Month in Canada. This year, for the first time, Avocados From Mexico has taken the pledge to help Canadians eat better, as an official sponsor of the campaign.
We love the superfood properties like potassium, fibre and heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, that avocados incorporate into your daily diet. For everyone, including South Asians mixing it up at the table is always a great idea as long as you can balance taste with nutrition in an easy way!
Here’s one of our fave avolicious recipes and a sneak peek at some from the campaign.
½ to 1 red onion, sliced into thin rings
½ tsp salt
½ tsp sugar
½ cup apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
½ cup water
½ tsp crushed hot pepper flakes
1 can of tuna in water, 184 g/6.5 oz, drained
Juice from 1 lime
⅛ tsp salt
4 corn tostadas (grilled, homemade or store bought corn tortillas)
4 cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 Avocado from Mexico, diced
Fresh ground pepper
Lime quarters and hot sauce, to serve
- Rinse the onions with boiling water and drain.
- In a large, 1 L Mason jar, mix the salt, sugar, vinegar, water and hot pepper flakes. Add the rinsed onions and marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the tuna and lime juice in a bowl, using a fork. Salt and pepper to taste, and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Distribute the tuna mixture evenly on the 4 tostadas. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, avocado, marinated onions and fresh cilantro.
- Add pepper and serve with lime quarters and hot sauce.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
There are no commentsAdd yours