Masalamommas is so honoured to share a series of three recipes from the newly released ‘Afternoon Tea’, by the team at Devnaa! Roopa and Jay, a brother sister team are renowned for their amazing desserts over at Devnaa, and their latest book explores the an Indian-inspired afternoon tea. Check out the first recipe we love from the book: Mumbai Sandwiches!
Sandwiches for your next High Chai!
An afternoon tea party wouldn’t be complete without a sandwich selection – enter the Mumbai grilled cheese! The cheese is actually optional but with or without it this – for me – is the ultimate sandwich. As you will see, things are done slightly differently in India, you don’t get a choice of three sandwiches, you get about five sandwiches all in one! They do however normally follow the afternoon tea trend of cutting the crusts off the sandwiches but personally, I like them left on. Grilling is not necessary either but I much prefer it this way – crunchy on the outside and bursting with a delicious, moist filling.
This recipe and more are available in the new cookbook from Devnaa, called: Devnaa’s Afternoon Tea. You can download it here: devnaas-afternoon-tea-digital-download
9 slices of thickly sliced bread
200 g boiled potatoes, thinly sliced
2 large red onions, thinly sliced
4 large tomatoes, sliced
100 g radish, sliced
2 carrots, grated
½ cucumber, thinly sliced
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder to taste
Chaat masala to taste
Cheese as required
- Lightly butter one slice of bread and top with chutney and some slices of potato.
- Sprinkle on some chaat masala, chilli powder, and salt.
Top with some sliced onions and sprinkle on some more of all the seasoning.If you are using cheese in your sandwiches then add a few slices on now.
- Butter a second slice of bread and spread a little chutney on top, the butter acts as a barrier to stop the chutney from making the bread too soggy. Press this slice of bread, chutney side down, onto the first slice.
- Spread the top of this slice with a little more chutney.
- Layer on some radish, followed by a sprinkling of all the seasoning, and then pack on some of the grated carrot followed by another generous sprinkle of seasoning.
- Top with some slices of cucumber, and more seasoning still.
- Spread a third slice of bread with butter followed by chutney as with the previous slice, and press face down onto the sandwich.
- Heat some butter or oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and gently grill the sandwich to golden perfection on both sides, pressing it down a little as you do.
- Repeat with the remaining ingredients, cut into slices and serve.
Devnaa chocolates have been presented to A-list Bollywood stars and sent around the globe by multinational businesses as unique corporate gifts. They’ve catered for the most memorable weddings and developed recipe books that are loved by people worldwide.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.