A great addition to your meal this week!
1 cup plain yogurt – room temp, stirred to a creamy consistency
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin powder
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons oil
1/2-1 tablespoon chili powder
2 cups finely chopped onions
28 ounces tomatoes chopped liquid (1 can/box)
1 tablespoon ginger root peeled & minced
1/2 cup cilantro chopped
1 tablespoon garlic – minced
2 teaspoons salt or to taste
4 teaspoons green chilies preferably serranos
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
12 large chicken thighs skinned, rinsed and wiped dry
1/4 cup cilantro chopped
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1. Stir yogurt and cornstarch together until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until beginning to color, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and saute onions until dark golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes longer
3. Stir in ginger, garlic and chilies. saute for 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add chicken and brown well, 6 to 8 minutes.
4. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle coriander, cumin, turmeric and chili powder over top of chicken. Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes, yogurt mixture, 1/2 cup cilantro and salt. Mix well. Cover and bring to a boil.
6. Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 25 minutes.
7. Turn off heat. Stir in garam masala and 3 tbs. cilantro (or more cilantro to taste).
8. Garnish with remaining cilantro before serving. Serve with rice or any Indian bread.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.