The reckless simplicity of BBQ food is seldom associated with Indian Food. Shackled by the image of heavy, red sauces, Indian food is relegated to the cold winter Friday nights.
Think about India itself. Her food didn’t grow against a backdrop of cold wet evenings, but rather, golden, long outdoor days, charcoal stoves and quick dramatic dishes. The vibrant colours and scents of Indian street food, all cooked on makeshift BBQs, sees Indian cuisine at her best! The charcoal aroma turns the dial right up on the earthy, heady musks of Indian Spicing.
The kaleidoscope of sunny yellows and exotic scents across the garden can only add to the drama of the summer BBQ. Go on! Invoke the flavours of far flung shores. Indian food was made for days like this!
Courgette + Fenugreek Salad
The very simple addition of Fenugreek to Courgette takes this vegetable to a new height. The spice brings new flavours out of squashes. The lemon gives this salad a fresh, cleansing edge.
SERVES 4 PREP – 10 MINS
COOK – 2 MINS
4 Courgettes, sliced into long ribbons
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon of Fenugreek seeds
Juice from half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Wash the courgettes.
- Top and tail them and slice them into long thin ribbons. I do this with a good potato peeler.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add the Fenugreek seeds, and as soon as they begin to turn golden brown, remove them from the heat.
- Place this spiced oil in a bowl and slightly crush the seeds with the back of a spoon.
- Mix in all the other ingredients for the dressing and add a few spoons of water to lubricate.
- Pour over the courgette strips. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to encourage the ingredients to combine.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.