Masalamommas interns are actively involved in the brainstorming and generating ideas for new articles. Candidates applying for Masalamommas’ writing internship (unpaid) should have a keen interest in the South Asian community, be organized and detail-oriented and possess excellent communication skills. Interns take regular news-writing assignments and work with the editor to prepare the articles for publication. The news intern will also gain experience in research and fact-checking. In addition to meeting their deadlines, interns are required to regularly keep in contact with Masalamommas’ editor, who will mentor successful applicants over the course of their term. Location of supervising editor is in Greater Toronto Area.
Masalamommas online Magazine is always looking for seasonal talented online editorial interns—next internship starts October 1 2012. Deadline for applications is Sept 20, 2012. Note: these are unpaid positions (approximately 18 hours or part-time)
The Online Editorial Intern will:
• Research and write short online articles for masalamommas.com
• Generate content for website, masalamommas.com
• Assist with pitching stories
• Occasional copy-editing of the newsletter
• Social media including twitter and Facebook may also be part of the daily routine.
• Some administrative work will be required.
• Attention to detail
• Excellent interviewing skills
• Good editing and grammar skills
• High level of responsibility, ability to meet deadlines and to work independently and with accuracy
• An understanding of South Asian community issues
• Strong writing, organization and visual skills
• Familiarity with WordPress platform, knowledge of multimedia and video production, editing and SEO is considered an asset.
• Familiarity with Twitter and Facebook
• Willingness to learn
• Experience in working in a virtual environment preferable
• Is willing to consider a commitment of least 3 months
Qualifications: A post-secondary education in journalism or related media field is ideal. Above all we are looking for strong writing skills and an enthusiasm to be a part of producing a top-notch global online magazine.
Please Send a CV, cover letter and 3 samples of to firstname.lastname@example.org By May 25th, 2012.