Global Asian: Avocado, Salmon and Edamame Sushi Bowl
We all love South Asian cuisine, but what about other Asian palates? March is Nutrition Month in Canada. This year, for the first time, Avocados From Mexico has taken the pledge to help Canadians eat better. Who doesn’t love the avocado?
With superfood properties like potassium, fibre and heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, incorporating avocados into your daily diet is a great way to build healthy habits and treat your body right – something the Dieticians of Canada, Nutrition Month’s organizers, are very passionate about.
The main goal of the campaign is to provide information and guidance to Canadians, making it a little easier for them to choose, eat and enjoy healthy meals.
We’re exploring global asian eats with this great recipe for a healthy addition to your meals during Nutrition Month!
Avocado, Salmon and Edamame Sushi Bowl
1 cup round grain sushi rice
1½ cups water
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 Avocado from Mexico, thinly sliced
½ cup edamame (soybeans), thawed
1 carrot, peeled and cut into long and thin julienne slices
1 nori sheet, cut into pieces
½ lb (225 g) fresh sushi salmon, sliced
Black and white sesame seeds, soy sauce, and sesame oil to serve
- Rinse the rice 2 to 3 times in a fine sieve. Drain well.
- Add the rice and water to a saucepan. Leave uncovered, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave to rest on the burner for 10 more minutes.
- Add the rice vinegar and, using a fork, carefully blend into the rice, taking care not to crush it. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Divide the rice between 2 large bowls. Garnish with avocado slices, edamame, carrot slices and nori pieces
- Add the fresh salmon and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with soy sauce and sesame oil.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.