For many of us masalamommas, juggling lunches and dinners with the drop-offs and family gatherings with extended family can be challenging in any given school week. So meal planning is always key to keep stress at a minimum. Ever wished your meals could be repurposed for the next day without getting the ‘mom we’re having that curry dish again?’ commentary from kids? Well, this great Biryani Pita Pocket recipe might be just the ticket!
What’s great about this recipe, is it’s quick, easy, and the vegetable biryani can be used as a meal the next day! Just cook a little extra and you’ll never be accused of having a boring menu (you might even impress the in-laws!)
Psst…here’s the Secret ingredient: Patak’s Biryani Paste!
- 3 tsp Patak’s Biryani Paste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsalted peanuts
- 2 1/2 tbsp raisins
- 10 pieces pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- Salt to taste
- 8oz water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 fresh tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp peas
- 4 pita breads
- Mixed salad
- Cilantro leaves for garnishing
- Heat the oil in a pan and stir fry the rice for 1 minute. Mix in the peanuts, raisins, pineapple, Patak’s Biryani Paste and salt.
- Add the water, bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Stir in the lemon juice, tomato and peas then refrigerate until cold.
- Slice the pita bread and fill with biryani rice and salad.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves. Serve on a bed of salad.
©masalamommas and masalamommas.com, 2016-2017. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to masalamommas.com and Masalamommas online magazine with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.